How To Create Google URL Shortener API Key
If you are a WordPress user you may have come across many Plugins which require Google URL Shortener API Key . Even enabling Google Analytics Tracking on Jetpack Sharing requires goo.gl API
This API is used to automatically shorten all your URLs to goo.gl format. However creating the goo.gl URL Shortener API key is not straight forward. The tutorials by Google only complicate things. So in this guide am going to explain you, with simple steps, how to create a Google URL Shortener API Key.
Let us first understand why is it Important to Shorten your URL.
WHY SHORTEN YOUR URL
- To avoid using Long URLs while sharing on social websites.
- Twitter and Google+ do not accept UTM parameters for sharing content. So tracking your Shares become Impossible in Google Analytics. By Converting it to short URL’s you can track the same.
- To make easier for your readers to copy/paste the link
- To hide your Affiliate Links in the URL.
CREATING GOOGLE URL SHORTENER API KEY
1. Firstly, open Google Developer’s Console. You will be asked to sign in to your Google account. If you do not have a Google account, register one. After logging in, you will be greeted with following Web Page. Click on Enable and Manage API’s
2. Next, the following Pop Up will appear as shown below, asking you to create a Project. Choose a Project Name of your choice, choose no for Email Updates, Accept Terms and Conditions and click on Create
3, Now you will be redirected to Google API Manager Overview Tab. You will see a list of various API’s. At the end of the page you will see an Option URL shortener API listed under “Other Popular API’s”. Click on it
4. On the next page, you will see an option to Enable API. Click on it
You will now be greeted with the following message
This API is enabled, but you can’t use it in your project until you create credentials.
Click “Go to Credentials” to do this now (strongly recommended).
5. Now click on the Credentials tab below Overview tab and not on the blue colored Credentials included in message box. The below image shows the one where you have to click
6. On the next page, you will see three tabs marked in the red box. Select OAuth Consent Screen. On this page just add any product name you want. Enter the Home Page URL if you wish, but it’s optional. Next click on save
7. Now Click on New Credentials as show in the picture below. Clicking on it will open a new pop up, select API Key option in it. It will now open a new pop up, Select Server Key option
8. On the Next page, Enter Server Key Name, Leave IP Address Blank and click on create
9. It will now display your API key as show in Image below
Congratulation, you Goo.gl URL Shortener API Key is now created and you may use it for shortening your URL
Creating Google URL shortener API Key is very complicated as with several other Google products. However if you follow the exact above steps, you should not face any issues.
However if by any chance you get stuck up somewhere in the process, do let me know, will try to help you out.
Image Credit: Google Developers Console Screenshot.
Google and the Google logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc., used with permission.